Tuesday, November 25, 2014
Surgery for Blake
Blake has to have surgery. It's nothing big. Really. It isn't. He has to have tubes put back in both ears. He doesn't have recurrent ear infections, but he does ALWAYS have fluid in his ears. And his tympanogram is ALWAYS flat. And his speech is still delayed. His most recent visit with the audiologist confirmed hearing loss. Not significant, but present nonetheless. His little voice is quite nasally. He sounds kind of like a character from Charlie Brown. Clearly he speaks how he hears. Put your hand over your mouth and try to talk. It's all muffled, right? That's how Blake hears everyday. So clearly I would be remiss as his parent to not provide him with the best opportunity to enhance his world. And he needs his tonsils and adenoids removed. No, he hasn't had recurrent strep infections. But he does have sleep apnea. He does have asthma. His adenoids are HUGE. He does have oral motor issues. At almost four he drools, as much as if he were a teething baby. He doesn't close his mouth. EVER. All of his shirts have drool on them, and now it bothers him. He's always wiping his chin on his sleeve. And now with the cold weather his little chin is so chapped. Everything he eats has to be cut up into "little bites." He eats only hard crunchy foods. He doesn't even eat macaroni and cheese. Really, he lives off cereal. And Kit Kats;) So all that combined made us realize that we needed to do the surgery. (Ok. I'm lying. All that convinced Chris that we needed to do the surgery). I don't want to do it. I have never heard anybody say that recovery from a tonsillectomy was easy. And I know there is no correlation between the two. Logically, I know this. Blake had surgery on December 12, 2012. Two weeks later we were brought to our knees when his platelet count was 3000 and he was diagnosed with ITP. Our world didn't change, it stopped. I don't think I can do that again. Go that route again. It was terrifying. And this is Blake. If anything can happen, it does. The poor child can't catch a break. Yet I'm going to send my sweet asthmatic who also bronchospasms with a history of bleeding disorder into the OR? Oh and wait....before he can even go to the OR he has to be cleared by his cardiologist for the small hole in his heart. Sounds like a great plan, huh?? Anyway surgery is scheduled for next week. It can't get here soon enough and yet I want time to stand still.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Hi, Wendy - this sounds awfully familiar to me. All three of my kids have had tubes in (the girls a couple of times). JP and Julie have both had adenoidectomies; JP a tonsillectomy, too. JP and Julie had terrible sleep apnea and speech issues. The surgery fixed them almost immediately. Surgery scares the hell out of me, too. I'd just as soon they never step foot inside a hospital again. But, it's worth the struggle to give the kids the sleep they need to grow and thrive.
ReplyDeleteLove you guys - good luck next week. Go, Blake!!